From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 23:52:16
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yes, that was me. I found that something had marked /var/log/messages as
4 > a binary file. There's nothing in it that can't be read, no mysterious
5 > characters or anything; it's just marked as binary. All you have to do
6 > is to move it, then cat it back into place. I did that with no ill
7 > effects.
10 Uh, of what binary "mark" are you speaking? Seems likely that however
11 you processed the file stripped it of whatever was causing less to
12 consider it as binary. I don't think cat alone would do anything to
13 the file, but I'm not certain of that.
16 Rich