From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Anybody really understand the gnu autotools?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:40:53
1 On 06/19/2012 01:54 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 06/19/2012 04:40 PM, walt wrote:
3 >> I'm trying to build an xfce4 applet that's not in portage. For
4 >> reasons I don't understand there are some standard gnome headers
5 >> that don't get pulled in during the configure process, like orbit,
6 >> libbonobo and libbonoboui.
7 >>
8 >> I edited the autoconf.in to check for those standard libraries,
9 >> and it did partly work. The generated makefiles now have correct
10 >> entries like LIBBONOBO_CFLAGS.
11 >>
12 >> The problem is that those flags are never used during the compile
13 >> phase. So, anyone know how make that extra step happen?
14 >
15 > (no, nobody really understands autotools)
16 >
17 > Is the applet publicly-available? If the build system isn't broken, it
18 > should all just work.
19 >
20 > If you cloned a git repository, you probably need to run autogen.sh
21 > first (and have xfce4-dev-tools installed). Otherwise, just ./configure
22 > && make should do it.
23 >
24 > Got a link? If it works with 4.10, I can just make an ebuild for it.
25
26 Thank to you and Ezequiel for the quick replies :)
27
28 git://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-xfapplet-plugin
29
30 I didn't know about xfce4-dev-tools, thanks, but for me it still fails
31 to find the headers for the bog-standard gnome libraries. I tried the
32 standard autogen.sh and xdt-autogen, which seems to do much the same
33 thing.
34
35 The unmodified package wants libpanelapplet-2.0, which is older than
36 the version 4.0 installed by gentoo's gnome-panel. I had to edit the
37 config stuff to accept libpanelapplet-4.0. Maybe this xfce package is
38 just too old to work with recent gnome?