From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: *dev-less gentoo
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:06:46
1 <karl <at> aspodata.se> writes:
4 > > > I found a workaround in the sys-fs/static-dev package.
5
6 Interesting read :: bgo #107875
7
8 > > Let's be clear: static-dev is NOT a workaround. It is a full proper
9 > > solution for the case when a dynamic device node solution is not
10 > > desired.
11
12 Well, I can think of embedded (linux) systems, a lock-down server and
13 machine(s) loaded up with (NFV) Network Function Virtuals, as prime examples
14 where a static dev is very useful; albeit a management pain if one is not
15 careful. This is a very interesting topic for me.
18 > > Of course it means you have to mknod every device you need yourself. But
19 > > you know that going in right?
20
21 > Yes (though I alreade have a /dev from before).
22
23 For explicit clarity, you've got a "/dev" from using dev-manager on the
24 system previously, and now you desire to switch to a static-dev? (Why ?)
25 Or did you derive from scratch (or other means) a '/dev' for a specific
26 need you are working on by design, historical example etc?
29 I apologize in advance, but this thread intersects some critical new
30 thinking on systems cluster formation. I have ran into a small group of
31 extraordinary coders that are building a Hi Performance Cluster out of C,
32 Rust and a minimized static-dev. So I am very curious as to your specific
33 and detailed motives for this 'static-dev'. If a private note is warranted,
34 feel encourage for that type of response. If this unbounded curiosity of
35 mine is unwelcome, you have my deepest apologies.
38 curiously,
39 James