From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange behaviour in quite special case
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:16:12
1 2017-09-18 19:56 GMT-03:00 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
2
3 > On Monday, 18 September 2017 14:13:44 BST Francisco Ares wrote:
4 >
5 > > After days and days struggling,
6 >
7 > I know what you mean. I've spent weeks wrestling with KMail. That included
8 > losing e-mails, falling behind in conversations and so on.
9 >
10 > > I finally upgraded to the newest stable kernel and updated every package
11 > > with a "emerge -e", just in case, twice! Then, rebuilt the kernel again.
12 > >
13 > > So, like a charm, everything got back to work as before.
14 >
15 > My technique in such cases is to emerge @system, then recompile the kernel,
16 > reboot on it and emerge -e world --exclude="gcc gentoo-sources". Seems to
17 > have worked out all right so far. You could omit the exclusion if you're
18 > even more paranoid than KMail has made me.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Regards,
22 > Peter.
27 Hi, Peter.
28
29 Thank you for your experience. In fact, as an "emerge -e" is quite
30 automatic, and I could let the system alone a whole weekend, I didn't worry
31 (nor had the time) to do it in parts to try to figure out which one would
32 succeed, in special because on the following monday it just _should_ be
33 working, or the launch of the new program version would be delayed (for
34 who-knows how much time) and would put my neck at risk ;-).
35
36 Best Regards,
37 Francisco