From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 22:45:35
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 12/06/2018 02:27 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> From what I've read, I can use pvmove and pvremove to replace that
4 >> drive. Just tell pv to move the data and when done, remove the old
5 >> drive. After that, the new 6TB drive will be used in that PV and the
6 >> 3TB drive can be used for something else.  Is it really that easy or
7 >> is there more to it than that?  Pardon me but that doesn't sound
8 >> complicated enough to me.
9 >
10 > I've migrated multiple hundreds of TB of data this way.
11 >
12 > In short:
13 >
14 > 1)  Partition the new drive(s) as desired.
15 > 2)  pvcreate /dev/$newPv
16 > 3)  vgextend $vgName /dev/$newPv
17 > 4)  pvmove /dev/$oldPv /dev/$newPv
18 > 5)  vgreduce $vgName /dev/$oldPv
19 > 6)  pvremove /dev/$oldPv
20 >
21 > This does work well, even if the LV(s) are in use / file system(s) are
22 > mounted.
23 >
24 > I have occasionally had issues where the system seems to not respond,
25 > despite the fact that it is doing what it's supposed to.  I wonder if
26 > it's related to the memory leak that J. Roeleveld was talking about.
27 >
28 > Note:  I /do/ *STRONGLY* recommend that you do partition the new drive
29 > and /not/ pvcreate the entire drive.  —  Many of the data recovery
30 > tools /expect/ there to be a partition table.  Those that don't care
31 > are happy to work with a partition table.  I've seen others be in a
32 > very uncomfortable situation when they /didn't/ use a partition table.
33 > Simple easy thing to avoid painting yourself into a corner.
39 Grant,
40
41 I'm not ignoring this email.  I just keep rereading it.  ;-)  I'm
42 uncertain still how I'm going to do this.  I'm considering encryption
43 which would mean additional changes and mount points.  I'm just not 100%
44 sure yet.  I'm considering things that may require a new thread.
45
46 Thanks much for this info.  The list of commands helps, largely.
47
48 Dale
49