From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 09:44:22
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I finally got me a 3Tb drive on the way. Should be here Wednesday. I
5 > have seen some reviews where it would not work right. I think some of
6 > it may be BIOS related since some BIOS's don't like drives that large.
7 > Anyway, I want to test this thing real good to really make sure it is up
8 > to the task before putting my data on it. It's going to be so much
9 > data, there is really no way to do back-ups at this point. Come on, 2
10 > to 3Tbs on 4Gb DVDs. Really? lol Maybe a external drive later on but
11 > for now, well.
12 >
13 > I have heard of bonnie and friends. I also think dd could do some
14 > testing too. Is there any other way to give this a good work and see if
15 > it holds up? Oh, helpful hints with Bonnie would be great too. I have
16 > never used it before. Maybe someone has some test that is really brutal.
17 >
18 > Thanks
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
22 > :-) :-)
25 I seem to have got a few really good responses to my question. Since I
26 really want to test this drive really hard, I'll try them all. lol If
27 it survives a few runs of all this, maybe it is going to live. Like the
28 one with the script too. May have to edit for my needs but certainly a
29 GREAT start.
30
31 While at it, I found a lot of references to the flood in Japan or I
32 assume it was Japan. Anyone think this could still be a problem?
33 Should they all be flushed out of the system by now? Pardon the flush
34 term there. ;-)
35
36 Linky:
37
38 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1310560&CatId=4357
39
40 Please, no hard drive brand flame wars. Seagates fail, WD fails, they
41 all fail at some point. We all know that already. This is what I got
42 so it is what it is. :-D That is why I want to test this thing like a
43 wild man BEFORE putting anything on it. If it has a issue, hopefully
44 the test will bring that to the front now instead of later.
45
46 Waiting on Wednesday to get here now.
47
48 Dale
49
51
52 P. S. What is a good way to back up something this large BESIDES
53 another drive the same size or larger? I thought about getting a blue
54 ray burner but even that will take a lot of media. Another drive is all
55 I can think of myself.
58 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!