From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:51:13
1 Paul Hartman writes:
2
3 > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5
6 > > Then my hardware broke, and I got new one, except for the system hard
7 > > drive and the PSU. It's an AMD FX-4100 quad-core with 3.6 GHz, 16 G of
8 > > RAM. Running gentoo-sources-3.2.1 as kernel. But it seems playing
9 > > movies got even worse!
10 >
11 > You don't mention anything about video card or video driver setup.
12 > That's the first thing I would suspect.
13 >
14 > What video card? What drivers? Are you using hardware accelerated
15 > movie playback?
16
17 Sorry. Radeon HD 4250 onboard graphics, using the open source radeon
18 driver. Hardware acceleration is working fine. As I wrote, it doesn't
19 matter which quality the videos are. There is not much CPU being used at
20 all, around 5% to 20%, so this is not the bottleneck.
21
22 Wonko