From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:23:30
1 On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman writes:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >
7 >> > Then my hardware broke, and I got new one, except for the system hard
8 >> > drive and the PSU. It's an AMD FX-4100 quad-core with 3.6 GHz, 16 G of
9 >> > RAM. Running gentoo-sources-3.2.1 as kernel. But it seems playing
10 >> > movies got even worse!
11 >>
12 >> You don't mention anything about video card or video driver setup.
13 >> That's the first thing I would suspect.
14 >>
15 >> What video card? What drivers? Are you using hardware accelerated
16 >> movie playback?
17 >
18 > Sorry. Radeon HD 4250 onboard graphics, using the open source radeon
19 > driver. Hardware acceleration is working fine. As I wrote, it doesn't
20 > matter which quality the videos are. There is not much CPU being used at
21 > all, around 5% to 20%, so this is not the bottleneck.
22 >
23 >        Wonko
26 I wonder if you copy the movie to /dev/shm first (so disk I/O is not
27 an issue) does it still have problems? At least this can potentially
28 eliminate disk I/O as the cause if something else weird is going on.
29 :)
30
31 For the problem of massive amounts of RAM consumed, that's strange.
32 Are you compiling debug symbols? That can make the RAM usage (in
33 linking especially) explode...