From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 03:14:35
1 Paul Hartman writes:
2
3 > I wonder if you copy the movie to /dev/shm first (so disk I/O is not
4 > an issue) does it still have problems? At least this can potentially
5 > eliminate disk I/O as the cause if something else weird is going on.
6 > :)
7
8 Yes, this helps. As does copying the movie to another partition than that
9 on which I to the I/O with my dd if=/dev/zero of= command. If I dd to
10 this partition, tough, it happens again.
11
12 > For the problem of massive amounts of RAM consumed, that's strange.
13
14 It's been so for years... but with 16 G of RAM it's no longer an issue.
15 Well, unless this weird problem happened wth parallel emerges on tmpfs. It
16 doesn't happen every time though.
17
18 > Are you compiling debug symbols? That can make the RAM usage (in
19 > linking especially) explode...
20
21 No. I sometimes enable it, but only when I hunt a bug and want to produce
22 better bug reports.
23 And even if the emerge would need very much memory, shouldn't this be
24 taken from the 8 G of caches being used, instead of starting to swap?
25
26 Wonko