From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] verifying GCC version program was compiled with
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:57:24
1 On Saturday 04 April 2009 23:42:54 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Joseph schrieb am 04.04.2009 22:48:
3 > > Is there a way to verify GCC version program was compiled with?
4 > > I just want to check if all the programs were compiled with latest GCC
5 > > version as I'm getting an errors at time to time.
6 >
7 > I don't think it is possible to get the compiler or it's version used
8 > for a specific program. If you are upgrading the compiler it is
9 > advisable to recompile the complete system so all programs are compiled
10 > with the same compiler version. Take a look at the gcc upgrading guide
11 > [1] for the necessary steps you need to follow.
12 >
13 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
14
15 This is complete nonsense advice. There is absolutely no need to rebuild the
16 entire system every time you upgrade compilers, and whoever told you that is
17 flat out wrong. If the gentoo docs told you that, then they are wrong, or
18 misplaced, or the person writing them is overcautious to the point of being
19 ridiculous. If this advice really was true, then a whole lot of stuff would
20 break all over the world:
21
22 - every Windows box on the planet would need a complete reinstall whenever a
23 Windows Update happened (Yes, Microsoft does upgrade their compiler!)
24 - third party apps would not run, as you have no way of knowing if Oracle's
25 compiler is the same as yours (and you don't even have a guarantee that Oracle
26 uses gcc). My Oracle instance at work is working just fine and I know for a
27 fact the compilers used for it and SuSE are not even in the same version
28 series.
29 - Compiling any package locally could not work on a binary distro. But they
30 do.
31
32 There are *some* special cases where the gcc devs break stuff at an ABI level
33 between versions (usually related to C++ not to C). These are well known and
34 heavily documented - the toolchain devs make sure of this. 3.3 to 3.4 was such
35 a case, there was another minor case early in the gcc-4 series. By no means do
36 this mean that the fix for those cases must now be applied every time.
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com