From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] putting mysql databases from one system to another
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 02:11:02
1 On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > Josh <korthrun@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > I am trying to copy my databases from one system to another and since
9 > > > one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit, I was told that I could not copy
10 > > > the binary databases directly, but I had to do mysqldump and then
11 > > > put that source file into the new system. What I am getting is that
12 > the
13 > > > passwords seem not to have gotten through -- the user names seem to be
14 > > > there, but I cannot login with the passwords the user had in the old
15 > > > system.
16 > > >
17 > > > Can anyone tell me why this is so and what I can do to fix?
18 > > >
19 > > > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
20 > > >
21 > > > --
22 > > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
23 > > > How do
24 > > > you spend it?
25 > > >
26 > > > John Covici
27 > > > covici@××××××××××.com
28 > > >
29 > > > Which two MySQL versions are in use here?
30 > > Older versions of mysql used a different format for the passwords
31 > and
32 > > there is a flag you need to pass to mysqld to get it to use old passwords
33 > (I
34 > > believe)
35 > >
36 > > What is the connection string you are using? Specifically are you
37 > connecting
38 > > via the mysql socket, using a hostname etc?
39 > > Say the old server was called "foo.stuff.net" and the connection
40 > was
41 > > made via the external interface e.g. "mysql -h foo.stuff.net", the user
42 > may
43 > > have been setup to allow connections from "foo.stuff.net" only, as where
44 > now
45 > > you may be connectin from "bar.stuff.net" or "localhost".
46 > >
47 > > SELECT user,host FROM mysql.user ORDER BY user;
48 > >
49 > > May shed some light on the situation for you.
50 > It should be localhost in all cases. The mysql versions are 5.1.53 in
51 > both cases. I am trying to login with the mysql client and I can do it
52 > on the old box, but not the new one --same host name, etc.
53 >
54 > Now I can login with the root password on the new box, maybe that is
55 > stored somewher else.
58 > --
59 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
60 > How do
61 > you spend it?
62 >
63 > John Covici
64 > covici@××××××××××.com
65 >
66 > I hate to ask the obvious, but are you passing "-u <username> and -p" to
67 mysqldump? the "-p" by itself will prompt for a password, which you will
68 then enter. The format should be "mysqldump databasename -u username -p >
69 file", then enter the password at the "Password:" prompt.