From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] putting mysql databases from one system to another
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:38:47
1 Josh <korthrun@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I am trying to copy my databases from one system to another and since
6 > > one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit, I was told that I could not copy
7 > > the binary databases directly, but I had to do mysqldump and then
8 > > put that source file into the new system. What I am getting is that the
9 > > passwords seem not to have gotten through -- the user names seem to be
10 > > there, but I cannot login with the passwords the user had in the old
11 > > system.
12 > >
13 > > Can anyone tell me why this is so and what I can do to fix?
14 > >
15 > > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
16 > >
17 > > --
18 > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
19 > > How do
20 > > you spend it?
21 > >
22 > > John Covici
23 > > covici@××××××××××.com
24 > >
25 > > Which two MySQL versions are in use here?
26 > Older versions of mysql used a different format for the passwords and
27 > there is a flag you need to pass to mysqld to get it to use old passwords (I
28 > believe)
29 >
30 > What is the connection string you are using? Specifically are you connecting
31 > via the mysql socket, using a hostname etc?
32 > Say the old server was called "foo.stuff.net" and the connection was
33 > made via the external interface e.g. "mysql -h foo.stuff.net", the user may
34 > have been setup to allow connections from "foo.stuff.net" only, as where now
35 > you may be connectin from "bar.stuff.net" or "localhost".
36 >
37 > SELECT user,host FROM mysql.user ORDER BY user;
38 >
39 > May shed some light on the situation for you.
40 It should be localhost in all cases. The mysql versions are 5.1.53 in
41 both cases. I am trying to login with the mysql client and I can do it
42 on the old box, but not the new one --same host name, etc.
43
44 Now I can login with the root password on the new box, maybe that is
45 stored somewher else.
49 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
50 How do
51 you spend it?
52
53 John Covici