From: Josh <korthrun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] putting mysql databases from one system to another
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:14:27
1 On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I am trying to copy my databases from one system to another and since
4 > one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit, I was told that I could not copy
5 > the binary databases directly, but I had to do mysqldump and then
6 > put that source file into the new system. What I am getting is that the
7 > passwords seem not to have gotten through -- the user names seem to be
8 > there, but I cannot login with the passwords the user had in the old
9 > system.
10 >
11 > Can anyone tell me why this is so and what I can do to fix?
12 >
13 > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
14 >
15 > --
16 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
17 > How do
18 > you spend it?
19 >
20 > John Covici
21 > covici@××××××××××.com
22 >
23 > Which two MySQL versions are in use here?
24 Older versions of mysql used a different format for the passwords and
25 there is a flag you need to pass to mysqld to get it to use old passwords (I
26 believe)
27
28 What is the connection string you are using? Specifically are you connecting
29 via the mysql socket, using a hostname etc?
30 Say the old server was called "foo.stuff.net" and the connection was
31 made via the external interface e.g. "mysql -h foo.stuff.net", the user may
32 have been setup to allow connections from "foo.stuff.net" only, as where now
33 you may be connectin from "bar.stuff.net" or "localhost".
34
35 SELECT user,host FROM mysql.user ORDER BY user;
36
37 May shed some light on the situation for you.
41 () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
42 /\ vCards, and proprietary formats.