From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High Definition and OSS
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:18:18
1 On 24 May 2008, at 18:37, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:15:34 +0100
3 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Hmm, on which features depends the encryption? Would a Windows Media
6 >>> Player in Wine be able to play it or do I need an operating system
7 >>> supporting it, maybe in a virtual machine? Has anyone tried?
8 >>
9 >> Neither of these methods would work at all.
10 >>
11 >> Read up on the Protected Video Path (PVP) at:
12 >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
13 >> command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9005047
14 >>
15 >> Basically you won't be able to use a "legitimate" player under
16 >> Linux. You either rip it, use a DeCSS equivalent, or not at all.
17 >> ...
18 > Well, then it's a no-go. The display is a pre-"HD-ready" TV-set with a
19 > standard DVI-D-port and a fairly high but non-standard resolution so I
20 > don't expect it to work with a hardware player or PVP.
21 >
22 > Well, it seems like the only thing someone like me can do is to use
23 > alternative ways to obtain a copy.
24
25 I wouldn't rule it out completely. I should mention that not all
26 disks require Protected Path at present, but more new releases may do
27 in the future. But I really wouldn't expect Nero HD-DVD player (or
28 whatever) to run under WINE.
29
30 I believe instead that you can rip the movie files off the bluray to
31 hard-drive and either play them from there or transcode them.
32
33 Blurays are about 25gig, IIRC, so it's a bit much to keep your whole
34 collection on your PC's desktop, but I think I read they can be
35 transcoded to half their size (or is it 5gig? I can't recall) without
36 quality loss. And I'd think they'd still be better-than-DVD quality
37 at 2 or 3 gigs.
38
39 So - 500gig harddrives coming in at under 10p per gig these days -
40 it's feasible to rip 100 or 200 blurays (which'd cost you a packet at
41 today's prices, anyway!) to the NAS, just until you upgrade your TV
42 in 5 years time.
43
44 If you Google "bluray Linux" an Ubuntu forums post comes up
45 explaining the hows & whys. All the bluray's VOB files are a standard
46 container/codec, so it's just the encryption you have to worry about.
47 What teh haXorz are doing is running a debugger under the Windows
48 players and reading the decryption keys out of memory; you download
49 the list of cracked keys and put it in ~./keyz or whereever and your
50 Linux ripper does the job. I think you can playback in mplayer.
51
52 Finally I should mention that hi-def isn't IMO worth getting excited
53 about, and I don't think it's that much better than regular old DVD.
54 I happen to have a bluray player because I bought a PS3 for
55 videogames and I have been tempted to buy a couple of movies for it.
56 I'm sure the clarity & crispness is much clearer on releases of the
57 latest movies (Transformers or whatever) but when watching classics
58 like Terminator the source material (grainy film) is the limitation.
59 I've got high-bitrate DVDs on which the failings of the source
60 material is clearly visible, FFS! On "28 Days Later" (bluray) you can
61 VERY clearly see the haze of the greenscreen behind the actor's head
62 as he walks across Westminster Bridge - they filmed that scene using
63 a small handycam (lower def than 1080p?), then used software to put
64 the background in afterwards, and it's quite obvious that they did
65 so. Any of these movies I'd enjoy just as much on regular DVD, so
66 just remember that hi-def isn't necessarily better - I might spend
67 the odd tenner here or there indulging myself on BluRays, but new or
68 second-hand I'm only paying £3 - £5 for DVDs, and it's hard to argue
69 that hi-def is 3x to 6x better.
70
71 Stroller.
74 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list