From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High Definition and OSS
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:37:26
1 On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:15:34 +0100
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > On 24 May 2008, at 10:03, Florian Philipp wrote:
6 > >> ...
7 > >> I would avoid bluray until it gets easier to play.
8 > >
9 > > Hmm, on which features depends the encryption? Would a Windows Media
10 > > Player in Wine be able to play it or do I need an operating system
11 > > supporting it, maybe in a virtual machine? Has anyone tried?
12 >
13 > Neither of these methods would work at all.
14 >
15 > Read up on the Protected Video Path (PVP) at:
16 > http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
17 > command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9005047
18 >
19 > Basically you won't be able to use a "legitimate" player under
20 > Linux. You either rip it, use a DeCSS equivalent, or not at all.
21 >
22 > >> Why would you buy an HD-DVD reader?
23 > >> That format is dead and there won't be any new titles.
24 > >
25 > > It's meant for my dad. He's a big Star Trek fan and afaik the new
26 > > remastered Star Trek Original Series is HD-DVD-only.
27 >
28 > It'll probably be available on BluRay soon enough, although HD-DVD
29 > might be a cheap way to buy it. But don't plan on being able to use
30 > those disks on set-top hi-def players in 5 years time.
31 >
32 > > The price
33 > > difference isn't that big, either.
34 >
35 > For the drive, no. It's probably worth paying for that extra feature.
36 >
37 > Stroller.
41 Well, then it's a no-go. The display is a pre-"HD-ready" TV-set with a
42 standard DVI-D-port and a fairly high but non-standard resolution so I
43 don't expect it to work with a hardware player or PVP.
44
45 Well, it seems like the only thing someone like me can do is to use
46 [ahem] *alternative* ways to obtain a copy [1].
47
48 [1] Notice that this mail isn't signed in case someone doesn't
49 understand the irony in the statement above. Of course I'm a good
50 capitalistic citizen who'd give his life to protect the property of
51 Warner Bros. and Disney...
52 --
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list