From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High Definition and OSS
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 16:15:42
1 On 24 May 2008, at 10:03, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I would avoid bluray until it gets easier to play.
4 >
5 > Hmm, on which features depends the encryption? Would a Windows Media
6 > Player in Wine be able to play it or do I need an operating system
7 > supporting it, maybe in a virtual machine? Has anyone tried?
8
9 Neither of these methods would work at all.
10
11 Read up on the Protected Video Path (PVP) at:
12 http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?
13 command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9005047
14
15 Basically you won't be able to use a "legitimate" player under Linux.
16 You either rip it, use a DeCSS equivalent, or not at all.
17
18 >> Why would you buy an HD-DVD reader?
19 >> That format is dead and there won't be any new titles.
20 >
21 > It's meant for my dad. He's a big Star Trek fan and afaik the new
22 > remastered Star Trek Original Series is HD-DVD-only.
23
24 It'll probably be available on BluRay soon enough, although HD-DVD
25 might be a cheap way to buy it. But don't plan on being able to use
26 those disks on set-top hi-def players in 5 years time.
27
28 > The price
29 > difference isn't that big, either.
30
31 For the drive, no. It's probably worth paying for that extra feature.
32
33 Stroller.
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list