From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High Definition and OSS
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:03:48
1 On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
2 "James" <bjlockie@××××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > > Hi list!
5 > >
6 > > I'm thinking about buying a BlueRay- and HD-DVD-combo reader.
7 > > Can I use GNU/Linux standard software (mplayer preferred) to watch
8 > > HD-movies or does its copy protection stop me from using it? If so,
9 > > are there any workarounds?
10 > >
11 > > Thanks in advance!
12 > >
13 > > Florian Philipp
14 > >
15 > I think you have to run software to decrypt the DVD on the fly and
16 > then have mplayer read the stream.
17 > The decryption keys to older bluray titles are available but newer
18 > ones might need to be decrypted (rip the movie to your harddrive).
19 > It is definitely not easy right now but a lot of titles are being
20 > cracked everyday.
21 > I would avoid bluray until it gets easier to play.
22
23 Hmm, on which features depends the encryption? Would a Windows Media
24 Player in Wine be able to play it or do I need an operating system
25 supporting it, maybe in a virtual machine? Has anyone tried?
28 > Why would you buy an HD-DVD reader?
29 > That format is dead and there won't be any new titles.
32 It's meant for my dad. He's a big Star Trek fan and afaik the new
33 remastered Star Trek Original Series is HD-DVD-only. The price
34 difference isn't that big, either.