From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy disk support removed from kernel 3.4.9.
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:18:38
1 On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Everybody!
3 >
4 > Floppy disk support has been removed from kernel 3.4.9. I'm not very
5 > happy about this. Does anybody know why, or by whom?
6
7 Nobody removed anything; it's still there, in 3.6.3. I'm not using it,
8 but I can select it without problems.
9
10 > This removal has been done in a somewhat peculiar manner. The config
11 > option was called CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, and used to be at <Device
12 > Drivers>/<Block Devices>. It is now not visible there.
13
14 It's visible here.
15
16 > However, Typing '/' BLK_DEV_FD in 'make menuconfig' returns its
17 > documentation, saying BLK_DEV_FD is dependent upon
18 > CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC. This latter variable isn't visible
19 > anywhere.
20
21 It's defined for you if the ARCHitecture (as the name implies)
22 supports floppies. It's set =y in all my kernels.
23
24 > I tried setting ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC by hand in .config, but that didn't
25 > help. 'make menuconfig' just unset it again of its own accord. Then I
26 > inserted BLK_DEV_FD into .config by hand and built the kernel. I haven't
27 > tested it yet.
28 >
29 > All this seems rather strange. Why shouldn't I be able to use my floppy
30 > drive?
31
32 Your kernel config/setup has something really weird.
33 ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC is a boolean variable that it's set automatically
34 for you, since it's arch dependant. You cannot set it (nor unset it,
35 AFAIK).
36
37 May I recommend to completely uninstall your sources package and
38 delete /usr/src/linux (after a proper backup, of course), install them
39 again, and do a make oldconfig (after restoring your old .config)?
40
41 Because ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC is something you should not to even think about.
42
43 Regards.
44 --
45 Canek Peláez Valdés