From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new scanner : how to activate for Gentoo : further thoughts
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 16:16:11
1 On 05/06/2017 06:15 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 170506 Mick wrote:
3 >> On Friday 05 May 2017 19:27:47 Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> There is a pkg media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820 for a V600 :
5 >>> I could take the V550 back & exchange it for a V600
6 >>> & try to install Iscan + data + that plugin.
7 >> If you are going to change it, isn't there a HP device out there
8 >> that Just Works™ with the hplip and potentially the hplip-plugin packages?
9 >
10 > Very unlikely : I have an HP printer, which also copies & can scan,
11 > but it isn't supported by Sane-backends & would require much work.
12 >
13 > I plan to audit what I've installed carefully today
14 > & if I still can't get it to work on Gentoo, I'll file a bug :
15 > hopefully, whoever created the plugin for V600 can do another for V550.
16 >
17 > Also, I'll put the Epson install script on my Internet site
18 > ( http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ ).
19 > I can't make sense of it, but perhaps someone here can tell me
20 > what it does with the .deb files when it installs them.
21 >
22 > If it works on Mint, it sb possible to get it to work on Gentoo.
23 > Usually in such cases, the secret is finding 1 small item
24 > which needs to be fixed & then everything is ok : that's Gentoo's strength.
27 I had to buy a new scanner in late 2015 (I believe) and found a Canon
28 LiDE 200. I got mine on sale for $90 here in Canada.
29
30 This scanner doesn't have as high a resolution (it's only 4800dpi vs.
31 the Epson you have's 6400) and there's no ADF. It comes with a bracket
32 to make it sit upright.
33
34 Main reason I bought it is because it uses the genesys backend in
35 sane-backends and no additional configuration was required on my end.
36
37 Do note that newer models than mine require some proprietary crap. I had
38 to search out this model specifically. I've scanned many pictures and
39 used it to restore an old user manual even, works pretty well for $90.
40
41 Dan