From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remote administration of a server
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:42:24
1 On 5/14/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On Mon, 14 May 2007 15:42:45 -0300
6 > "Daniel van Ham Colchete" <daniel.colchete@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > > Thinking about other options, does anyone have any other tip for me? Am
9 > I
10 > > going in the right direction?
11 >
12 > The two options you've mentioned are quite different. One gives console
13 > access, the other basically cures HD fails. The latter is clearly a job
14 > for your hosting company, I think. And there's an old, proven way for
15 > the task "console access": forget about that graphics output on that
16 > computer and learn to trust in good ol' serial connections :-)
17 > certainly cheaper than KVM-over-IP.
18 >
19 > Another option would be for the servers to default to netbooting and
20 > fall back to HD on boot. Then you were able to switch on the service
21 > offering the netboot images on some fall-back servers on-demand. I
22 > think this is somewhat like your USB idea. Or generally use netboot (w/
23 > redundant servers) and forget about the HD fails alltogether (i.e.,
24 > have some remote login program in your initrd).
25 >
26 > All these options still won't give you the opportunity to power-cycle
27 > your machines, which might be the only option left under some
28 > circumstances. A hw watchdog can probably reduce the impact of that
29 > problem a lot.
30 >
31 > -hwh
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
36 Hi Hans!
37
38 Yeah! Direct netboot is a very nice idea too... I can't to it with one kind
39 of server I'll have but with the clustered ones that I'll be nice! To
40 improve reliability I could make a copy of a healthy image to the node's
41 hard drive every time it boots, so it's not dependent on a NFS server all
42 the time (just to boot).
45 Best
46 Daniel