From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:38:52
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 14 May 2007 15:42:45 -0300
4 "Daniel van Ham Colchete" <daniel.colchete@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Thinking about other options, does anyone have any other tip for me? Am I
7 > going in the right direction?
8
9 The two options you've mentioned are quite different. One gives console
10 access, the other basically cures HD fails. The latter is clearly a job
11 for your hosting company, I think. And there's an old, proven way for
12 the task "console access": forget about that graphics output on that
13 computer and learn to trust in good ol' serial connections :-)
14 certainly cheaper than KVM-over-IP.
15
16 Another option would be for the servers to default to netbooting and
17 fall back to HD on boot. Then you were able to switch on the service
18 offering the netboot images on some fall-back servers on-demand. I
19 think this is somewhat like your USB idea. Or generally use netboot (w/
20 redundant servers) and forget about the HD fails alltogether (i.e.,
21 have some remote login program in your initrd).
22
23 All these options still won't give you the opportunity to power-cycle
24 your machines, which might be the only option left under some
25 circumstances. A hw watchdog can probably reduce the impact of that
26 problem a lot.
27
28 -hwh
29 --