From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hardware upgrade and Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:00:07
1 Daniel da Veiga writes:
2
3 > I just got a new box for use at work, its an Intel Core Duo 1.8, 1GB
4 > RAM, with an Intel graphic card, its a IBM Lenovo machine. My old one
5 > is an Itautec Athlon XP 1.1GHz with 512MB RAM and an Nvidia AGP
6 > graphic card.
7 >
8 > My make.conf (intersting part):
9 > CFLAGS="-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
10 > -march=athlon-xp"
11 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
12 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
13 > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
14 >
15 > What I want to know is, will my software, compiled with the above
16 > settings, run in the new processor?
17
18 I think this will not work well, because your current system has
19 Athlon-specific CPU instructions which the Intel machine dows not know
20 of. You probably get "illegal instruction" errors with many binaries. I
21 even had this when I replaced my athlon-something with a just slightly
22 less powerful Sempron CPU.
23
24 > Anyway, should I start from scratch or there's an easy way to migrate
25 > all this stuff?
26
27 This should help, if you have exchanged the hardware and experience
28 problems:
29 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
30
31 However, see this thread, where it did not seem to work:
32 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_114280.xml
33
34 Another method, which I would use, would be to change your CFLAGS to what
35 you would like for the new processor, but use mtune= instead of march=.
36 This will also optimize for the cpu, but the code will run on any x86
37 CPU. emerge world --emptytree to re-compile everything, then switch your
38 hardware. This will give you flexibility, at the cost of lesser
39 optimization. Depends on how you use your system, most applications will
40 not show a noticeable speed ddifference I guess.
41 You could also change to march= later, when the system ist up, and
42 re-compile everything again to get full optimization.
43
44 Alex
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list