From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hardware upgrade and Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:11:05
1 On 7/18/07, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Another method, which I would use, would be to change your CFLAGS to what
3 > you would like for the new processor, but use mtune= instead of march=.
4 > This will also optimize for the cpu, but the code will run on any x86
5 > CPU. emerge world --emptytree to re-compile everything, then switch your
6 > hardware. This will give you flexibility, at the cost of lesser
7 > optimization. Depends on how you use your system, most applications will
8 > not show a noticeable speed ddifference I guess.
9 > You could also change to march= later, when the system ist up, and
10 > re-compile everything again to get full optimization.
11
12 Oh, that's good to know, I guess that's the best option, since after
13 the system is up and running I can do whatever optimizations it needs,
14 as long as I'm able to boot and work with it in the new hardware.
15
16 Tonight I'll start the (long and boring) process of recompiling the
17 whole stuff with "-mtune" instead of "-march".
18
19 Thanks to all that replied so far... Maybe more suggestions comming?!
22 Daniel da Veiga
23 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list