From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Dynamic DNS using Gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:13:52
1 Jose,
2
3 I'm currently DHCP behind DSL so I have the kind of setup you're looking at.
4 Apart from the obvious configuration things you'll have some other things to
5 keep in mind, like who is doing the DHCP negotiation for the IP address? If
6 the router is, it must be able to interact with the dynamic dns service,
7 otherwise you get into having to script something on the server side to
8 fetch the ip info from the router and connect to the remote ip address when
9 a change takes place.
10
11 I don't think you'll find a free service that allows for hosting your own
12 name... Trust me, the small fee for dyndns.org is worth it to keep things
13 working. With the fee in place whenever my ip address changes I can ping
14 dyndns.org to have the ip address change and, so far, I have no complaints
15 about it at all.
16
17 As for the software, look for ez-ipupdate. It handles most of the dynamic
18 dns sites including dyndns.org and others.
19
20 In any case ez-ipupdate might be a good source for dynamic dns services; if
21 ez-ipupdate handles it then it's typically a good service.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list