From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Dynamic DNS using Gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:56:42
1 Hi there,
2
3 I currently have a DSL connection with a fixed IP using a DSL router,
4 with an internal network of 4 computers with private DHCP IPs (except
5 the server, with fixed private IP). Now I'm considering changing to
6 another provider with dynamic IPs. I have three domains hosted in my
7 SOHO server (let's say example1.com, example2.com and example3.com)
8 including mail for two of them. The questions are:
9
10 1. Which dynamic DNS provider do you prefer and why (I would prefer a free one)?
11 2. Which is the best dynamic DNS client available in Gentoo, taking
12 into accout that it must be able to discover the DSL router's
13 dynamically assigned IP and connect with the chosen provider?
14
15 I would like to be able to keep my domain names, but using a dynamic
16 IP DSL connection, this is, I don't want to change to any URL like
17 example.no-ip.com or example.dyndns.org. So I thought I could just add
18 some CNAMEs entries to my DNS service (kind of www.example1.com CNAME
19 example.dyndns.org and mail.example1.com CNAME example.dyndns.org) to
20 get what I want, but here:
21
22 http://www.dyndns.org/services/dns/
23
24 they say the free service doesn't support using your own domain
25 names... does this mean that you must pay if you want to include your
26 own domain name in their DNS servers, but the whole CNAME stuff should
27 work if you have a DNS service available elsewhere? Has anyone ever
28 tried this?
29
30 Thanks in advance, best regards
31 Jose