From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 02:22:25
1 On 09/06/2009 05:10 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 09/06/2009 03:50 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> and maybe you should decrapify your config a bit? Namespaces? Seccomp?
5 >>> Process accounting? no compat vdso?
6 >>>
7 >>> You really hate performance, do you?
8 >>
9 >> On another note:
10 >>
11 >> "Say N here if you are running a sufficiently recent glibc version
12 >> (2.3.3 or later), to remove the high-mapped VDSO mapping and to
13 >> exclusively use the randomized VDSO."
14 >>
15 >> And digging turned up that it saves about 6-10 instructions per syscall
16 >> but limits the flexibility. This may be a significant improvement for
17 >> intensive-IO processes.
18 >>
19 >> And about process accounting:
20 >>
21 >> "This is generally a good idea, so say Y."
22 >
23 > yeah, if you are in a bean counter environment. Nobody else needs it.
26 >> Well, I said Y.
27 >>
28 >> And on seccomp:
29 >>
30 >> "... If unsure, say Y. Only embedded should say N here."
31 >>
32 >> Well, guess what? I'm not on "embedded".
33 >
34 > and seccomp is only used by a single project by Andrea Arcangeli. Nobody else
35 > uses it. He also was the submitter of that feature.
36
37 I've used your .config. I only changed CPU from AMD to Intel Core 2, as
38 well as the SATA and network drivers. Same problems.
39
40 So it's not a kernel configuration problem.
41
42 And btw, no matter how I configure the kernel, Con's scheduler always
43 results in a smooth and fluid composited GUI. Bte, are you even using
44 OpenGL compositing or are you just talking random stuff? :P