From: "Vernon A. Fort" <vfort@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: FOLLOWUP: [gentoo-user] K8N Neo4 and skge
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:10:27
1 Vernon A. Fort wrote:
2
3 > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 19:27 -0500, Vernon A. Fort wrote:
8 >>> New to gentoo!
11 >> Welcome to a new world of learning!
15 >>> I have gentoo amd64 loaded and the forcedepth drive is detecting the
16 >>> first network card. Both the default skge and the sk98lin manually
17 >>> downloaded from SysKonnect will load without errors and display in
18 >>> the lsmod. Neither will actually detect the network card.
19 >>>
22 >> I don't get it. If it's modprobed and lsmod shows it, means the cards
23 >> are detected. your lcpci shows the cards are detected.
27 >>> I have included the lspci -vv at the end of this message.
28 >>>
29 >>> 1. are both of these interfaces active, meaning can I use both.
30 >>>
33 >> Yes. Doesn't ifconfig show anything? ifconfig eth1 or ifconfig eth0??
37 >>> 2. Being new to gentoo, should the interface be added
38 >>> automatically upon modprobe or is there something more I need to do.
39 >>>
42 >> U modprobe the drivers, they get seen by the kernel. Then you need to up
43 >> the interface. DHCP?
44 >>
45 >> make sure you edit /etc/conf.d/net (there are example files in there as
46 >> well)
47 >>
48 >> /etc/init.d/net.eth? up
49 >>
50 >> Oh.. yeah.. since you have 2 eth, make the apropriate symlink for eth1
51 >>
52 >> eg: ln -s eth0 eth1
57 > I think this may be a PCIE issue, from what I have read. But, I have
58 > recomplied the kernel (network devices) and configured both the
59 > forcedepth and skge drivers as modules. If I unload the forcedepth or
60 > rename so it won't start durning boot, the SKGE driver WILL load and
61 > be listed in the lsmod and lspci but does nothing - no dmesg
62 > anything! Its almost like the driver sees the device but is waiting
63 > on something else to load..... There's very little information
64 > concerning this device - I'll keep digging.
65 >
66 > Vernon
67
68 Ok - I managed to get this working, kind of. I installed a fresh
69 gentoo-sources, selected the forcedepth, skge and the sk98lin drivers as
70 modules. Recompiled and booted. Then I downloaded the
71 http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk9elin.htm and
72 ran the install. It did detect the network card!! I configued and
73 rebooted. Both network cards did come up - I assigned different ip
74 address to both cards ( both on the same network - 192.168.1.50 (eth0)
75 and 192.168.1.55(eth1). The odd thing is if I plug in the eth0 card, I
76 can telnet to BOTH ip addresses while eth1 is disconnected. If I
77 disconnect eth0 and connect eth1, I cannot connect to either address.
78 Am I missing something????????? or is this the correct behavior?
79
80 Vernon
83 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list