From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache died this morning... why?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:45:26
1 On 2013-12-30 7:40 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <snip>
3 >> Doesn't mean anything to me though... ;)
4
5 > It's just a list of the libs a file knows it is linked to.
6 > First is the lib name then the big arrow (=>) then the file containing
7 > that lib then a bunch of numbers. Ignore the numbers, pay most attention
8 > to anything that says "not found" - that's the junk revdep-rebuild looks for
9
10 Ok, thx for the explanation... makes it a little less mysterious at least.
11
12 >>> preserved-rebuild should just take care of all this automagically.
13 >>> Do you have preserve-libs in FEATURES?
14
15 >> Nope... is this now recommended? Is it the default on new installs?
16
17 > Yes it's the default for new installs and comes highly recommended
18 > (unless you like having stuff not work at all till revdep-rebuild
19 > completes...)
20 >
21 > There was a news item 2013-06-07:
22
23 Interesting. Wonder how I missed that, or why my new install doesn't
24 have it enabled - or is it enabled somewhere other than in
25 /etc/portage/make.conf?
26
27 Anyway, just changed mine to
28
29 FEATURES="buildpkg preserve-libs"
30
31 >> This happened by the way when the logs were rotated by logrotate. Maybe
32 >> that is significant?
33 >
34 > Yes, that is highly significant.
35 >
36 > IIRC logrotate can work in one of two ways:
37 >
38 > 1. rename the log file and create a new empty one
39 > 2. copy the log file elsewhere and truncate the original
40 >
41 > I forget which way it does it for the moment...
42 >
43 > #1 is fast but leaves the daemon (apache or syslog) trying to write to a
44 > file that isn't there anymore. Or worse, it's writing to an open file
45 > that has been deleted and a new one with the same name still exists.
46 > #2 is slower but safer.
47 >
48 > Either way, the apache daemon has to be told it's log file went away.
49 > Not all daemons can use inotify to just find this out, some have to be
50 > told, so logrotate resets/restarts/hups them. In the case of apache it
51 > does a graceful restart (what you get with apachectl graceful).
52 >
53 > Your apache re-read it's config file at that point, found any error for
54 > php and decided to roll over and die.
55
56 Ok, but, if that is the case, why did it startup just fine when I simply
57 did /etc/init.d/apache2 start? Shouldn't it have still died?