From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:05:27
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 01:36:56 PM Dale wrote:
3 >> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >
5 >> > But that's the thing: we (you and me) don't see the situation the same
6 >> > way. To me, the proposed changes are for the better.
7 >>
8 >> You are one of very few that feel this way.
9 >
10 > You are probably correct that he's one of the relatively few people (along
11 > with the udev developer, and those few people for whom it will fix their
12 > problems) who think these changes are a real improvement.
13 >
14 > I would estimate that the vast, vast, vast majority of users are those such as
15 > myslelf, who have no opinion whatsoever, and either will not be affected at all
16 > by these changes (because they don't separate / and /usr), or will simply
17 > apply the proposed initramfs solution and move on.
18 >
19 > Then there are those relatively few people, such as the handful making up the
20 > rest of this thread, who think that these changes are a horrible idea and will
21 > have a severe deterimental affect on their systems.
22 >
23 > Not that the relative "size" of the various sides in this debate is really the
24 > issue, but despite the tone of this and the other thread, I don't think
25 > there's really a huge, overwhelming outcry against these changes.
26
27 My complaints are chiefly philosophical; it's not a correct solution,
28 because the problems it purports to fix will just re-emerge down the
29 road. I'm all in favor of well-architected systems and good, sound,
30 informed discussion. I've only been involved in this thread as much as
31 I have been because there's been a dearth of such in it.
34 :wq