From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different build options for specific packages
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:25:08
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 22:19:48 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dale wrote:
5 >>> Howdy,
6 >>>
7 >>> I read where someone did this but I can't find it now. I looked at
8 >>> the wiki and did some startpage searches, no luck. Here goes:
9 >>>
10 >>> I generally let emerge build packages in parallel. This works because
11 >>> a lot of packages are small and don't take long to build or much room
12 >>> either. However, there are a few exceptions. For me, Seamonkey,
13 >>> Firefox and Libreoffice cause issues. I would like those to build one
14 >>> at a time instead of at the same time. I've had times where all three
15 >>> have updates but having two of them at the same time occurs pretty
16 >>> regular. I thought I recalled this needing to be in package.env but
17 >>> my test didn't work. I put this in package.env:
18 >>>
19 >>> www-client/seamonkey MAKEOPTS="-j1"
20 >>> www-client/firefox MAKEOPTS="-j1"
21 >>>
22 >>> Since I'm here, you can guess that emerge didn't like that. So,
23 >>> either I'm putting that in the wrong place, the wrong way or
24 >>> something. Oh, I looked at the wiki and I didn't see things like
25 >>> this. I just went with what little I recalled which seems to be not
26 >>> correct.
27 >>>
28 >>> Can someone point me in the right direction here? Examples would be
29 >>> nice because I may want to disable portage on tmpfs as well, for
30 >>> Libreoffice at least.
31 >>>
32 >>> Thanks
33 >>>
34 >>> Dale
35 >>>
36 >>> :-) :-)
37 >>>
38 >> I found another howto. That ended with this setup:
42 >> root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/package.env
43 >> www-client/seamonkey ../env/single.conf
44 >> www-client/firefox ../env/single.conf
47 >> root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/env/single.conf
48 >> MAKEOPTS="-j1"
51 >> root@fireball / #
54 >> From my reading, I put the setting in the env directory file and the
55 >> package names in package.env. Thing is, it still tries to build them
56 >> both at the same time. Once I get these two to work, I'll add
57 >> libreoffice to it.
58 >>
59 >> My first test gave a error message. I added the ../env/ part and it
60 >> doesn't give a error but it doesn't recognize it either. I'm missing
61 >> something. My eyes ain't real good today, allergies, so I may be not
62 >> seeing something right.
63 >
64 > You have done it right this time and portage is doing exactly what you
65 > tell it to do. unfortunately that is not the same as what you want it to
66 > do.
67 >
68 > MAKEOPTS governs the number of parallel processes executed by a single
69 > compile. So your setting it is allowing parallel merges, but each one uses
70 > only one CPU core.
71 >
72 > I don't think what you want can be controlled by package.env, since you
73 > want to change an emerge command line option, not an environment
74 > variable. What you want requires "emerge -j 1".
79 That's what I was realizing. I thought I did it right the second time,
80 actually forth time, just second that I posted. ;-) Anyway, I was just
81 hoping that I missed some silly little something.
82
83 Now to go undo what I went and done.
84
85 Thanks.