From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different build options for specific packages
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:05:59
1 On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 22:19:48 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Dale wrote:
4 > > Howdy,
5 > >
6 > > I read where someone did this but I can't find it now. I looked at
7 > > the wiki and did some startpage searches, no luck. Here goes:
8 > >
9 > > I generally let emerge build packages in parallel. This works because
10 > > a lot of packages are small and don't take long to build or much room
11 > > either. However, there are a few exceptions. For me, Seamonkey,
12 > > Firefox and Libreoffice cause issues. I would like those to build one
13 > > at a time instead of at the same time. I've had times where all three
14 > > have updates but having two of them at the same time occurs pretty
15 > > regular. I thought I recalled this needing to be in package.env but
16 > > my test didn't work. I put this in package.env:
17 > >
18 > > www-client/seamonkey MAKEOPTS="-j1"
19 > > www-client/firefox MAKEOPTS="-j1"
20 > >
21 > > Since I'm here, you can guess that emerge didn't like that. So,
22 > > either I'm putting that in the wrong place, the wrong way or
23 > > something. Oh, I looked at the wiki and I didn't see things like
24 > > this. I just went with what little I recalled which seems to be not
25 > > correct.
26 > >
27 > > Can someone point me in the right direction here? Examples would be
28 > > nice because I may want to disable portage on tmpfs as well, for
29 > > Libreoffice at least.
30 > >
31 > > Thanks
32 > >
33 > > Dale
34 > >
35 > > :-) :-)
38 > I found another howto. That ended with this setup:
42 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/package.env
43 > www-client/seamonkey ../env/single.conf
44 > www-client/firefox ../env/single.conf
47 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/env/single.conf
48 > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
51 > root@fireball / #
54 > From my reading, I put the setting in the env directory file and the
55 > package names in package.env. Thing is, it still tries to build them
56 > both at the same time. Once I get these two to work, I'll add
57 > libreoffice to it.
58 >
59 > My first test gave a error message. I added the ../env/ part and it
60 > doesn't give a error but it doesn't recognize it either. I'm missing
61 > something. My eyes ain't real good today, allergies, so I may be not
62 > seeing something right.
65 You have done it right this time and portage is doing exactly what you
66 tell it to do. unfortunately that is not the same as what you want it to
67 do.
68
69 MAKEOPTS governs the number of parallel processes executed by a single
70 compile. So your setting it is allowing parallel merges, but each one uses
71 only one CPU core.
72
73 I don't think what you want can be controlled by package.env, since you
74 want to change an emerge command line option, not an environment
75 variable. What you want requires "emerge -j 1".
79 Neil Bothwick
80
81 WinErr 018: Unrecoverable error - System has been destroyed. Buy a new
82 one. Old Windows licence is not valid anymore.