From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot disk "renames" /dev/md6 to /dev/md127.
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 14:37:11
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2015 08:53:13 Todd Goodman wrote:
2
3 > I also had the same problem a while ago and like Rich I started using
4 > UUIDs (actually I had started on another system where it mounted my
5 > /home partition as /tmp and rm -rf'd it during startup because of the
6 > /dev/md devices being scrambled around, but at that point I switched
7 > all my systems to UUIDs.)
8 >
9 > I also use dracut and aside from some problems with it starting up my
10 > raid arrays, it works well and I don't think much about it.
11
12 I think /dev/md127 is created and started by the installation disk
13 regardless of your wishes. What I did (I think - it's some time ago now)
14 is to issue an mdadm stop command on the automatically named devices,
15 then assemble the device I wanted and proceed as before. Eventually the
16 message sank home, though I can't remember the details. Like Alan, I too
17 lost a good deal of sleep before that simple measure occurred to me. I
18 now have /dev/md5, 6 and 7 working happily.
19
20 Perhaps the installer was just trying to be helpful, but as so often
21 happens, it achieved the reverse.
22
23 Rather than booting the Gentoo installation disk, Alan might prefer to
24 chroot from his existing system; that's what I do nowadays, and I find
25 the hardware all set up ready.
26
27 I don't use UUIDs (nor kernel-assigned network device names), preferring
28 to use names I can read. To each his own, of course.
31 Rgds
32 Peter.