From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot disk "renames" /dev/md6 to /dev/md127.
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:53:21
1 * Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> [150203 08:36]:
2 > On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > So, what was it that chewed up my RAID configuration so badly that
4 > > /dev/md6 got renamed to /dev/md127? Can I change it back to /dev/md6,
5 > > somehow? Do I need to bother?
6 >
7 > I ran into similar issues a while back. In my case some of my arrays
8 > were using older metadata (which was required at the time to boot
9 > without an initramfs). I suspect that either this metadata lacked the
10 > info needed for a boot CD to assign the same ID, or perhaps the ID I
11 > was using was already allocated somehow and the boot CD chose another
12 > one and wrote that ID to the metadata so that it stuck.
13 >
14 > My solution was to move to using UUIDs or labels for everything and
15 > not relying on array numbering. This of course requires an initramfs
16 > - personally I've found Dracut to be the best one out there. It is
17 > just far less prone to breakage when some update causes stuff to move
18 > around like this.
19
20 I also had the same problem a while ago and like Rich I started using
21 UUIDs (actually I had started on another system where it mounted my
22 /home partition as /tmp and rm -rf'd it during startup because of the
23 /dev/md devices being scrambled around, but at that point I switched all
24 my systems to UUIDs.)
25
26 I also use dracut and aside from some problems with it starting up my
27 raid arrays, it works well and I don't think much about it.
28
29 Todd