From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raid 5 creation is slow - Can this be done quicker?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:02:42
1 Most of the wait I would assume is due to the size of the volume and
2 creating parity. If it was my array I'd probably just sit tight and
3 wait it out.
4
5 On 2/1/10, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > Hi All,
7 >
8 > I am currently installing a new server and am using Linux software raid to
9 > merge 6 * 1.5TB drives in a RAID5 configuration.
10 >
11 > Creating the RAID5 takes over 20 hours (according to " cat /proc/mdstat ")
12 >
13 > Is there a way that will speed this up? The drives are new, but contain
14 > random
15 > data left over from some speed and reliability tests I did. I don't care
16 > about
17 > keeping the current 'data', as long as when the array is reliable later.
18 >
19 > Can I use the " --assume-clean " option with mdadm and then expect it to
20 > keep
21 > working, even through reboots?
22 > Or is this a really bad idea?
23 >