From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bootloader hangs without a keyboard
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 11:35:07
1 On 08/04/2018 00:18, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Hi list
3 >
4 > I have a bit of a weird issue. I recently acquired a used server (Fujitsu
5 > Primergy TX140 S1) via a friend of mine. I have Gentoo installed on it now
6 > and overall it works fine save for one perplexing issue [0]: The bootloader
7 > hangs when booting without a keyboard attached. I tried it with both GRUB and
8 > systemd-boot (which works nicely in combination with kernel-install); both
9 > only work with a keyboard attached. GRUB hangs when the countdown starts,
10 > while systemd-boot hangs when the cursor first appears, but before the boot
11 > entries are listed. In both cases the cursor freezes.
12
13 I can't help with a solution, but this is actually quite a common
14 problem. I remember ages ago copious reports of computer rooms with
15 these boxes that share one keyboard, mouse and screen amongst several
16 computers, and there were loads of complaints about systems refusing to
17 boot.
18
19 Go in ti the bios settings, and see if there's something about
20 keyboards. I really can't remember but there was something about a
21 missing keyboard triggering a bios boot error - cue all the jokes about
22 "keyboard missing, press F1 to continue". Actually, if you search on
23 that message, you might find something ...
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol