From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bootloader hangs without a keyboard
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 23:19:03
1 Hi list
2
3 I have a bit of a weird issue. I recently acquired a used server (Fujitsu
4 Primergy TX140 S1) via a friend of mine. I have Gentoo installed on it now
5 and overall it works fine save for one perplexing issue [0]: The bootloader
6 hangs when booting without a keyboard attached. I tried it with both GRUB and
7 systemd-boot (which works nicely in combination with kernel-install); both
8 only work with a keyboard attached. GRUB hangs when the countdown starts,
9 while systemd-boot hangs when the cursor first appears, but before the boot
10 entries are listed. In both cases the cursor freezes.
11
12 I'm curious if anybody has seen this issue before and/or has any idea how to
13 solve it. The only resources I could find online that seem related are [1]
14 (different OS, no resolution, hints at BIOS), [2] (which provides a potential
15 solution, though I'm not sure whether I can actually implement it), and [3]
16 (the patch didn't help). There was also a related systemd bug at [4].
17
18 I updated the BIOS, but that helped as much as anticipated, that is, not at
19 all (it was at the penultimate version already). I also tried unplugging the
20 display in case the BIOS was expecting a keyboard then.
21
22 Any help is much appreciated.
23
24 [0] Well, there's a second one, too, but I'll have to see if it shows up
25 again.
26 [1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66696/nas4free-freebsd-wont-make-it-past-bootloader-without-keyboard
27 [2] https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/os-cannot-be-loaded-without-keyboard-because-of-grub-805350/
28 [3] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44923
29 [4] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/3735
30
31 Greetings
32 --
33 Marc Joliet
34 --
35 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
36 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup