From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:12:38
1 On Sunday 13 January 2008, Norman Rieß wrote:
2 > I have installed Gentoo in many ways, the old UniversalCD, the
3 > LiveCD, others Distros LiveCD's, from a working Gentooinstallation to
4 > a usb-connected drive which was transferred to boot in a old laptop
5 > and so on. But i still think a Gentoo-Install-CD/DVD is a good thing.
6 > So your statement "The users around here pushing the idea to have an
7 > install CD just do not get it, and are probably *not*able* to think
8 > out the box." is clearly not bulletproof.
9
10 You miss my point.
11
12 The thread is about users insisting that Gentoo must have an installer
13 because "how else would one install Gentoo?" which is patently not
14 true.
15
16 My comment was to highlight that people who don't see the truth of that
17 probably can't think out the box. I didn't pull this comment out my ass
18 either, it's based on several hundred observations of me personally, in
19 face-to-face situations, explaining to people how a typical Linux
20 install process works and observing how many get it and how many don't.
21
22 Please don't respond to my posts in isolation, treating them as 10
23 second sound bites. They are in a thread, and part of a larger context.
24
25 If you want a Gentoo installer then by all means go ahead and make one.
26 Or you can pay someone to make one for you. That is how FLOSS works
27 after all.
28
29 But is not justifiable to make the creation of such an installer a
30 top-priority for Gentoo, as such a thing ALREADY EXISTS. It just
31 doesn't have a Gentoo "G" logo on it.
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list