From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:47:57
1 Alan McKinnon schrieb:
2 > On Saturday 12 January 2008, Qian Qiao wrote:
3 >
4 >> I can understand why you guys think we are so compelled to have a
5 >> Gentoo LiveCD, because every other OS does, and to be honest, that is
6 >> exactly the reason that stops you guys thinking out of the box, in
7 >> what way is being able to install Gentoo from any LiveCD/distro a bad
8 >> thing? In everyway it should be considered one of Gentoo's strengths?
11 > Joe,
12 >
13 > You have hit the nail on the head. The users around here pushing the
14 > idea to have an install CD just do not get it, and are probably
15 > *not*able* to think out the box. They can comprehend is "Gentoo =
16 > Gentoo install CD", precisely because virtually every other OS does it
17 > this way. And they have been indoctrinated to think this is the only
18 > way it can work, or they have drunk the PR department Kool-Aid or
19 > suffer from Red Hat Inc.'s major disease - Not Invented Here syndrome.
20 >
21 > I've had hundreds of people pass through my Linux sysadmin courses, and
22 > guess which concept they have most trouble grasping? It's not how
23 > initrd works, Xen, or LVM (the usual assumed suspects), it's how do you
24 > manage to use an Ubuntu LiveCD to fix a broken Red Hat system? Or how
25 > did I install Red Hat using Ubuntu as a bootstrap system (possible, but
26 > waaaaaay more trouble than it's worth)
27 >
28 > Such people should probably be running Ubuntu or a binary distro as they
29 > don't fit the profile of gentoo's target audience. Before anyone flames
30 > me to oblivion for insulting them, it's not an insult. I just recognize
31 > that you want to buy a high performance passenger car, and gentoo sells
32 > an experimental plane in kit form.
35 I have installed Gentoo in many ways, the old UniversalCD, the LiveCD,
36 others Distros LiveCD's, from a working Gentooinstallation to a
37 usb-connected drive which was transferred to boot in a old laptop and so on.
38 But i still think a Gentoo-Install-CD/DVD is a good thing.
39 So your statement "The users around here pushing the idea to have an
40 install CD just do not get it, and are probably *not*able* to think out
41 the box." is clearly not bulletproof.
42
43 Norman
44 --
45 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list