From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 08:59:02
1 On Saturday 12 January 2008, Qian Qiao wrote:
2 > I can understand why you guys think we are so compelled to have a
3 > Gentoo LiveCD, because every other OS does, and to be honest, that is
4 > exactly the reason that stops you guys thinking out of the box, in
5 > what way is being able to install Gentoo from any LiveCD/distro a bad
6 > thing? In everyway it should be considered one of Gentoo's strengths?
7
8 Joe,
9
10 You have hit the nail on the head. The users around here pushing the
11 idea to have an install CD just do not get it, and are probably
12 *not*able* to think out the box. They can comprehend is "Gentoo =
13 Gentoo install CD", precisely because virtually every other OS does it
14 this way. And they have been indoctrinated to think this is the only
15 way it can work, or they have drunk the PR department Kool-Aid or
16 suffer from Red Hat Inc.'s major disease - Not Invented Here syndrome.
17
18 I've had hundreds of people pass through my Linux sysadmin courses, and
19 guess which concept they have most trouble grasping? It's not how
20 initrd works, Xen, or LVM (the usual assumed suspects), it's how do you
21 manage to use an Ubuntu LiveCD to fix a broken Red Hat system? Or how
22 did I install Red Hat using Ubuntu as a bootstrap system (possible, but
23 waaaaaay more trouble than it's worth)
24
25 Such people should probably be running Ubuntu or a binary distro as they
26 don't fit the profile of gentoo's target audience. Before anyone flames
27 me to oblivion for insulting them, it's not an insult. I just recognize
28 that you want to buy a high performance passenger car, and gentoo sells
29 an experimental plane in kit form.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
34 --