From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:16:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 David Relson wrote:
5 > Is it gentoo's goal to make the installation difficult so only a select
6 > group can do the install? Or is the goal to make gentoo a great
7 > distro? In the latter case, why not make the installation easy?
8
9 The installation isn't difficult, Gentoo LiveCD or not, I'll elaborate:
10
11 - - With Gentoo LiveCD:
12 * Boot
13 * Config network and load necessary modules (if it's not done automatically)
14 * fdisk
15 * mount
16 * download and unpack stage tarball
17 * chroot, config /etc/resolv.conf
18 * emerge --sync
19 * choose the correct profile
20 * config /etc/make.conf
21 * emerge -e system
22 * emerge your kernel
23 * emerge necessary tools
24 * reboot
25
26 - - Any other LiveCD, running linux distro:
27 * Boot
28 * Config network and load necessary modules (if it's not done automatically)
29 * fdisk
30 * mount
31 * download and unpack stage tarball
32 * chroot, config /etc/resolv.conf
33 * emerge --sync
34 * choose the correct profile
35 * config /etc/make.conf
36 * emerge -e system
37 * emerge your kernel
38 * emerge necessary tools
39 * reboot
40
41 OMG, no difference at all, so how is installing with any other LiveCD
42 harder?
43
44 I will say that being able to install Gentoo from any linux
45 distro/LiveCD makes it unique and special, I will also elaborate:
46
47 * To install Windoze, you need to get a copy of Windoze CD
48 * To install FreeBSD, you need to get a copy of FreeBSD CD
49 * To install OpenBSD, you need to get a copy of OpenBSD CD
50 * To install NetBSD, you need to get a copy of NetBSD CD
51 * To install Solaris, you need to get a copy of Solaris CD
52 * To install MacOS, you need to get a copy of MacOS CD
53 * To install Aix, you need a copy of Aix CD
54 * To install RedHat, you need a copy of RedHat CD
55 * To install Ubuntu, you need a copy of Ubuntu CD
56 * etc etc
57 * To install Gentoo, you need a copy of *any random* linux live CD or
58 even inside you current Linux
59
60 I can understand why you guys think we are so compelled to have a Gentoo
61 LiveCD, because every other OS does, and to be honest, that is exactly
62 the reason that stops you guys thinking out of the box, in what way is
63 being able to install Gentoo from any LiveCD/distro a bad thing? In
64 everyway it should be considered one of Gentoo's strengths?
65
66 - -- Joe
67
68 - --
69 A computer scientist is someone who, when told "go to hell", considers
70 the "go to" harmful rather than the destination.
71
72 GnuPG Key: 0xB14661D9
73 GnuPG FP: DE08 57AE A1AD 620C 02AA CCDD 611B 63AC B146 61D9
81 --
82 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list