From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:18:30
1 On Saturday 15 December 2007 15:05:28 Grant wrote:
2 > > Neil correctly translated my pseudo-English to what I actually meant. I
3 > > don't want to make Portage binary based. I just want to make Portage's
4 > > binary package support more conveniently usable on big networks.
5
6 Even eclasses in the tree don't have any sort of checksums and they aren't
7 even included in binary packages either...
8
9 > I don't think there is any shortage of great ideas here.  Can we get
10 > into specifics on how projects are born and become successful?
11 >
12 > So, what would need to happen for one of these projects to take off
13 > would be one or more people to be in charge of it and organize it, and
14 > they recruit as many people as possible to work on the project along
15 > with them?
16
17 The real blocker for features that I'd like Gentoo to support is Portage.
18 There is only 1½ people working on it and changing anything in it is hard
19 because Portage is a horrible mess. There's plenty of activity in the tree
20 but new desired features cannot be used in the tree until Portage supports
21 them. It also doesn't make matters better that over the years all sorts of
22 weird hacks (that now have to be supported) have been added to the tree
23 instead of waiting for proper solutions. Most people who are capable of
24 helping to improve Portage just don't want to touch it.
25
26 > Does that recruitment generally take the form of volunteers finding the
27 > project as opposed to the project finding volunteers?  Any light to shed on
28 > this process for me?
29
30 If there's one thing we definitely don't need it's more clueless people who
31 become developers just because they claim they want to do something. Being
32 stalled is better than major screw ups that hurt everyone and than moving in
33 the wrong direction.
36 Bo Andresen