From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:08:49
1 > > So, what would need to happen for one of these projects to take off
2 > > would be one or more people to be in charge of it and organize it, and
3 > > they recruit as many people as possible to work on the project along
4 > > with them?
5 >
6 > The real blocker for features that I'd like Gentoo to support is Portage.
7 > There is only 1½ people working on it and changing anything in it is hard
8 > because Portage is a horrible mess. There's plenty of activity in the tree
9 > but new desired features cannot be used in the tree until Portage supports
10 > them. It also doesn't make matters better that over the years all sorts of
11 > weird hacks (that now have to be supported) have been added to the tree
12 > instead of waiting for proper solutions. Most people who are capable of
13 > helping to improve Portage just don't want to touch it.
14
15 Would you say that portage is the main block in the way of Gentoo's
16 continued progress?
17
18 > > Does that recruitment generally take the form of volunteers finding the
19 > > project as opposed to the project finding volunteers? Any light to shed on
20 > > this process for me?
21 >
22 > If there's one thing we definitely don't need it's more clueless people who
23 > become developers just because they claim they want to do something. Being
24 > stalled is better than major screw ups that hurt everyone and than moving in
25 > the wrong direction.
26
27 I don't have aspirations of becoming a developer if that's what you
28 mean. Thanks though.
29
30 - Grant
31 --