From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Advice
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:32:13
1 On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Dale wrote:
2 > > Use the Live CD if you want to get a working machine quickly. If
3 > > watching gcc output scroll off the screen turns you on (it does for
4 > > most of us around here....) then use the minimal by all means.
7 > This is true.  Gentoo updates pretty fast.  A lot quicker than most.
8 > That can be good but it can be bad too.  Just try to sync up as soon
9 > as you can.  No need installing something just to update it again in
10 > a little bit.
11
12 That reminds me of an interesting exercise I went though sometime last
13 year:
14
15 Hauled out my trusty 2005.0 minimal disk and let her rip on this very
16 notebook. Set up my usual flags etc etc and let it compile. The thing
17 is, it escaped my notice that the machine was offline and it was using
18 the portage tree and the sources from the CD. I think it was a Friday
19 and the pub upstairs was beckoning...
20
21 On Monday morning I went to work and did the usual
22
23 emerge --sync
24 emerge -avuNDt world
25
26 ouch.
27
28 alan
32 Optimists say the glass is half full,
33 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
34 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
35
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
38 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list