From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Advice
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:10:37
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > Sorry, but that's never a good reason for using Gentoo. If a binary
5 > distro compiles every option under the sun then the software will still
6 > work, but the binaries might be a bit big. Compiling on your machine
7 > gives no discernable performance benefit for the average user.
8 >
9 > Gentoo's strength is in being able to enable or disable individual
10 > features in each package. So, if you (say) can't stand Red Hat becuase
11 > it defaults to a Gnome DE, use Gentoo by all mans. If you can't stand
12 > Red Hat becuase you think it's slow, then you have faulty hardware and
13 > Gentoo is going to perform about the same...
17 I have to disagree with this. I used to use Mandrake and Gentoo is a
18 *LOT* faster than Mandrake. I turned off a lot of unused services and
19 Mandrake was still pretty slow. This is especially true if you
20 customize all the flags you can. I suspect he will see a speed
21 difference. Plus he will know what is being installed and why. Gentoo
22 IMHO beats Mandrake and others by a long shot.
23 >
24 >> What would be the 'best' medium for me, minimal or live CD? I have a
25 >> high speed connection.
28 > Doesn't matter, it comes out to the same anyway. The minimal CD has only
29 > the absolute minimum sources on it, so you have to download the rest.
30 > The LiveCD gets you up and running in an hour or two, but the packages
31 > on it are bound to have updates (because OSS projects release early and
32 > often), so with your first world update you will download new versions.
33 >
34 > Use the Live CD if you want to get a working machine quickly. If
35 > watching gcc output scroll off the screen turns you on (it does for
36 > most of us around here....) then use the minimal by all means.
39 This is true. Gentoo updates pretty fast. A lot quicker than most.
40 That can be good but it can be bad too. Just try to sync up as soon as
41 you can. No need installing something just to update it again in a
42 little bit.
43 >
44 >> Two avoid a typical dual boot install. I would like gentoo to boot
45 >> from my second hard drive. During boot up, I can now select which HD
46 >> I want to boot from. Will the install process let me assign a boot
47 >> disk?
50 > It's been a while since I did a virgin install, so things might have
51 > changed recently. Back when I did my last install, the process was
52 > completely different to a binary distro, and one of the steps was to
53 > partition the disk manually, install grub and edit grub.conf exactly
54 > the way you want it. So your answer is yes, you can assign boot disks,
55 > but it isn't a check box you click. But, the latest installers may well
56 > have changed the entire process
57 >
58 > alan
62 If he uses the GUI thing, which has never worked for me, it is a lot
63 different. It seems to be easier to configure, if I could just get it
64 to finish for once. It starts, then hangs up and just sits there doing
65 nothing.
66
67 Dale
68