From: Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:11:30
1 Le 2015-08-30 11:56, Peter Humphrey a écrit :
2 > On Sunday 30 August 2015 00:04:43 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
4 >> How long between power off/on's ?
5 >>
6 >> I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
7 >> then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself.
8 >> However recently, I've run into delays getting my router
9 >> (only 1 device attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's server,
10 >> which have been requiring several power off/on's before it works.
11 >> As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly system update
12 >> -- it means I get to use the new versions of everything --
13 >> & not powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off
14 >> whenever I'm away from the machine for >= 1 hr (approx).
15 >>
16 >> Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
17 > No-one has yet mentioned taking backups. I'm still using a brute-force
18 > approach, in which I shut down each of my two machines once a week to make a
19 > backup to external disk. Otherwise they're on 24 hours a day running BOINC
20 > projects. On the desktop PC kmail makes a daily archive of messages, and once
21 > a day a cron job copies my user directory to /home/<me>.bu/ .
22 >
23 > I know it burns energy but I'm prepared to make my small contribution to what
24 > I think is a good cause.
25 >
26 Backups are vital for a server in company. At work we do a backup every day. At home, it depends how important your stuff is. For pictures you should always copy them on DVD. I regularly backup pictures for people who have ususable windows systems, for
27 them the pictures are the most important stuff but they do not back them up.
28
29 Personally I don't like to do regular backups because that involves too many DVDs. I probably should do my backups more often.
30 I do have 3 2TB hard disks with important data copied on each for redudancy. I also have some backups on a 500G driver which is not powered usually. I also make some backup on DVDs sometimes.
31 Anything that is of extreme importance I have in several DVDs which I make copies of every few months. I remembered that in the early days of CD that their life was rather limited and am not taking chances on DVD even though I think the technology is a lot
32 better.
35 For Linux Software visit
36 http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal
37 http://sourceforge.net/projects/suzielinux/