From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:57:00
1 On Sunday 30 August 2015 00:04:43 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
3 > How long between power off/on's ?
4 >
5 > I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
6 > then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself.
7 > However recently, I've run into delays getting my router
8 > (only 1 device attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's server,
9 > which have been requiring several power off/on's before it works.
10 > As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly system update
11 > -- it means I get to use the new versions of everything --
12 > & not powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off
13 > whenever I'm away from the machine for >= 1 hr (approx).
14 >
15 > Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
16
17 No-one has yet mentioned taking backups. I'm still using a brute-force
18 approach, in which I shut down each of my two machines once a week to make a
19 backup to external disk. Otherwise they're on 24 hours a day running BOINC
20 projects. On the desktop PC kmail makes a daily archive of messages, and once
21 a day a cron job copies my user directory to /home/<me>.bu/ .
22
23 I know it burns energy but I'm prepared to make my small contribution to what
24 I think is a good cause.
27 Rgds
28 Peter