From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge advises upgrade profile
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:24:02
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 October 2009 01:31:27 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >
4 >> My profile has been
5 >> ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0
6 >>
7 >> starting an update system today I'm told my profile is depricated and
8 >> to update to default/linux/x86/10.0
9 >>
10 >> I've forgotten about how this is done. Is it just a matter of
11 >>
12 >> ln -sf
13 >> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0 /etc/make.profile ?
16 > yes
20 >> Or does it involve something like a major regrind of every package?
23 > no
27 >> A quick google with site:gentoo.org "change profile" shows dozens of
28 >> hits in forum messages, but I didn't notice a HOWTO or concise
29 >> walk-thru.
32 > It's in the gentoo docs - remember that long thing you read when you installed
33 > gentoo the first time, and probably haven't read again? yes, that one :-)
34 >
35 > All a profile does is specify some default standard packages for system,
36 > default USE flags and some other various bits and pieces. Once you have set
37 > your make.conf up the way you want, very little in the way of profile changes
38 > affect you.
39 >
40 > If you find forum posts that go on about large re-emerges of world and other
41 > nonsense, well you should understand that such comments represent the average
42 > level of cluelessness of your average forum user and you should treat it as
43 > such
49 Yep, I synced the tree, did the profile change and I think I had like
50 two upgrades. I'm pretty sure I would have had those even if I hadn't
51 changed the profile.
52
53 It is possible to have a lot of packages with changes but not to
54 likely. I subscribe to -dev so I can see most of the screw-ups that are
55 headed my way. Let's not get started on that hal and xorg-server thing
56 again tho. That one surprised me for sure.
57
58 Dale
59