From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:52:09
1 On 12.03.2013 14:44, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:30:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>> not "has to be easy", but definitely, with such purpose.
5 >>> Do you disagree? Perhaps you reckon that the whole purpose of
6 >>> computing is to make life harder? :)
7 >>
8 >> You know, this general topic rears it's head about every six months. The
9 >> answer never changes:
10 >>
11 >> Gentoo is what it is, it works a certain way for a reason. Maybe you
12 >> like it, maybe you don't. Either way that is not going to change anytime
13 >> soon. What you could do is pitch in and do all the same heavy lifting
14 >> that our long-term devs have done, and be the change you want to see in
15 >> the world.
16 >>
17 >> That might involve dealing with the protestations of the existing devs
18 >> though and they will likely quote the "Gentoo is what it is" line.
19 >
20 > On the other hand, if you file bug report with a patch to the ebuild
21 > that checks the running kernel version and outputs an elog message of
22 > "you might want to try the in-kernel drivers". They may simply say "thank
23 > you".
24
25 The starting point has to be someone identifying the problem.
26 When you come e.g. to a car service and say, 'my engine is not working
27 properly e.g. ignition fails or sort of', do you expect the mechanic to
28 answer, 'hell why are you coming to me? you know the problem, c'mon fix
29 it yourself'? Or even more of it, 'your car is what it is, you wanna
30 drive -- buy a limousine for a couple hundred grands'?
31 Yes, you can expect that a gentoo user is more familiar with the things
32 but you can't expect everyone capable of everything.
33 And clearly, there are people who'd do it better than an average gentoo
34 user.
35
36 > This is not a unique situation, there are other out of tree drivers that
37 > give such a message, and plenty more that don't. All it needs is for
38 > someone to take the time to fix it - rather than demanding that someone
39 > else fixes it for them.
40
41 Yes, that's it -- if you can't do it yourself, just inform someone who
42 has the time and ability to fix it. And no profound discussions about
43 what gentoo is and what it is not. Because (it's my humble opinion of
44 course) he who discusses the most does the least.
47 Best wishes,
48 Yuri K. Shatroff