From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:09:15
1 Am 12.03.2013 12:51, schrieb Yuri K. Shatroff:
2 > On 12.03.2013 14:44, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:30:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> not "has to be easy", but definitely, with such purpose.
6 >>>> Do you disagree? Perhaps you reckon that the whole purpose of
7 >>>> computing is to make life harder? :)
8 >>>
9 >>> You know, this general topic rears it's head about every six months.
10 >>> The
11 >>> answer never changes:
12 >>>
13 >>> Gentoo is what it is, it works a certain way for a reason. Maybe you
14 >>> like it, maybe you don't. Either way that is not going to change
15 >>> anytime
16 >>> soon. What you could do is pitch in and do all the same heavy lifting
17 >>> that our long-term devs have done, and be the change you want to see in
18 >>> the world.
19 >>>
20 >>> That might involve dealing with the protestations of the existing devs
21 >>> though and they will likely quote the "Gentoo is what it is" line.
22 >>
23 >> On the other hand, if you file bug report with a patch to the ebuild
24 >> that checks the running kernel version and outputs an elog message of
25 >> "you might want to try the in-kernel drivers". They may simply say
26 >> "thank
27 >> you".
28 >
29 > The starting point has to be someone identifying the problem.
30 > When you come e.g. to a car service and say, 'my engine is not working
31 > properly e.g. ignition fails or sort of', do you expect the mechanic
32 > to answer, 'hell why are you coming to me? you know the problem, c'mon
33 > fix it yourself'?
34
35 no, because I am going to pay a shitload of money. See the difference?
36 Nobody is paying me to hang around on this list. A list that is full
37 with threads about problems that are:
38
39 occuring every odd month, so a little search would have answered the
40 question
41
42 obvious user errors
43
44 caused by stupid behaviour
45 or
46 easily fixable with a little bit of thinking and/or using google.
47
48 Bonus points: people being pissy if pointed out.
49
50 At some point you have three choices dealing with this:
51 go away, because the shit isn't worth it anymore
52
53 swallow it, show your nicest smile and go on in the hope that someday
54 somebody might grow up
55
56 become an asshole.
57
58 I have chosen option number three. I admit it freely. There are very few
59 people on this list whose opinion I really care about. Those people
60 earned my respect. So why staying and act like this? Because sometimes
61 people are ok. Sometimes there are good threads. Because some people do
62 see the pattern. Others realize that a bit of own research means a lot
63 of time saved. Their own time. Learning something. Stuff like that. Btw,
64 Daniel? cool reaction. I liked that.
65
66 > Or even more of it, 'your car is what it is, you wanna drive -- buy a
67 > limousine for a couple hundred grands'?
68
69 you are proposing that. 'Oh, this car needs manual intervention and some
70 thinking. Mod your car to turn it into Carbuntu! It will do everything
71 for you! Even driving! And breaking!*
72
73 *except in icy conditions or raining. There will be no warning.
74
75 > Yes, you can expect that a gentoo user is more familiar with the
76 > things but you can't expect everyone capable of everything.
77 > And clearly, there are people who'd do it better than an average
78 > gentoo user.
79 >
80 >> This is not a unique situation, there are other out of tree drivers that
81 >> give such a message, and plenty more that don't. All it needs is for
82 >> someone to take the time to fix it - rather than demanding that someone
83 >> else fixes it for them.
84 >
85 > Yes, that's it -- if you can't do it yourself, just inform someone who
86 > has the time and ability to fix it. And no profound discussions about
87 > what gentoo is and what it is not. Because (it's my humble opinion of
88 > course) he who discusses the most does the least.
89 >
90 have a look at the checks in ati or nvidia drivers, create a suitable
91 patch for every other driver. Not that hard. If you want to do it.
92
93 I don't. Seriously.