From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A How-to to keep Python on top of its game?
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:20:45
1 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >     I've just run emerge --pretend --depclean and it wants to remove
4 > Python 3.6 - all good. But in turn it is leaving 2.7, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9.
5 >
6 >     I'm fine with 2.7 as I have a specific use for that but three
7 > versions in the 3.* series? Is there somewhere a How-to or FAQ or
8 > hints & tips that can guide me on how to sort this out a bit and tidy
9 > things up?
10 >
11 >     Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.
12 >
13 >         Andrew
18 Right now python is a work in progress.  The devs are trying to phase
19 out 2.7 but a small number of things will require it for a while yet.
20 From what I've read and understood on -dev mailing list, some packages
21 are still on 3.7, some are on 3.8 and some are on 3.9.  I'm not sure
22 about backward compatibility but devs tend to use the highest version
23 they can and set it in the ebuild.  That may be why there is three of
24 those versions still hanging around.
25
26 Given some more time, I think 3.6 may go away at some point in the not
27 so distant future.  There may even be a somewhat firm target date for
28 it.  I think either the date was on -dev or a link to it one.
29
30 May have to give it more time yet.
31
32 Dale